How should I prepare for my advising appointment?
An advisor can be most helpful when you take the initiative to use his/her skills.
Here are some things you should do:
- Keep current on academic policies, procedures, and requirements by reviewing the current
- Become familiar with General Education Requirements, University Studies Depth Requirements and Graduation Requirements.
- Schedule an advisor appointment.
- Prepare a list of questions or concerns before meeting with your advisor. Have a tentative
written schedule prepared.
- Ask questions! When you don't understand a policy or procedure, ask your advisor for
- Your advisor will help you explore decisions to be made, but you must make the decisions.
- Be aware of upcoming registration deadlines. Set up appointments with your advisor in advance of these deadlines.
- Bring a pen and paper and be prepared to take notes.
Review your transcript!
It is your responsibility to verify your transcript is accurate and up-to-date. Each
semester review your transcript for the following information: Are all of your AP,
Concurrent Enrollment, and Transfer credits posted? Are your grades accurate? Are
you registered for the correct classes? You can view your transcript by logging on
to your Access account. Under "Student Records" select "View Transcript".